If you want to do well in the world of business, it is important these days to have a website. But how does a website exist on the internet? You need a server to host a website on the internet. When it comes to hosting, there are various types of hosting options available. Some of the common hosting options include cloud hosting, shared hosting, virtual private hosting, collocated hosting, dedicated hosting, among others. Every hosting option mentioned here has some positives and some negatives.
But how do you select the best hosting option for your business?
The answer is simple – businesses should select the hosting option strictly according to their needs.
If you are a growing business, one option you can choose is the dedicated server hosting. It offers several benefits to businesses that have a positive and steady growth trajectory. Dedicated server hosting is a premium hosting service, which is slightly expensive than others, but the advantages it offers are far more than the price you end up paying for the service.
So, why do businesses need a dedicated server?
If your site is expected to handle a considerable amount of traffic in the times to come, then what you need is a dedicated server hosting. But if you have just started your business and you don’t expect a lot of traffic on your website, then shared hosting might be the right option for you.
What is a dedicated server?
According to TechTarget, a dedicated server means the rental and exclusive use of a computer which includes a web server, software, internet connection housed in the hosting service provider’s premises. Simply put, you have to pay the web hosting service provider a fixed amount to rent a server over which you get exclusive rights. If you expect a considerable amount of traffic to come to your site, then you should opt for a dedicated server.
Reasons why your business needs a dedicated server
You might think of having a server of your own and hosting your website on it. However, it is not a feasible option because the infrastructure cost to maintain a server of your own would be too high. When you opt for a dedicated server, it is almost like having a server of your own with the only difference being that it is on rent.
Dedicated server hosting offers a lot of benefits. Here are the reasons why your business needs a dedicated server:
- It offers enhanced security – If you are doing business on the internet, then security should be your major concern. When you collect sensitive data from your customers, you need to make sure that you keep it safe at all the cost. With cybercrimes on the rise, it is vital that adequate security is in place to protect your customer information from the prying eyes. And, when you opt for the dedicated server option, you can improve your security to combat all the threats.Safety in case of shared hosting is as good as the protection offered by the hosting company. Also, shared servers are vulnerable to security breaches and attacks in the form of hacks, viruses, and other risks. The main issue with shared servers is that you don’t get to know about the updates, patches, firewall, and antivirus installations. It might take you weeks or may be months before you know that there is a security issue with your website. Whereas, in case of a dedicated server, it provides you optimal security for your website and all your stored information.When it comes to dedicated servers, you are in charge of securing your server. Also, many service providers provide managed dedicated servers where they maintain the server, install software, and offer all the security upgrades. Hence, dedicated server hosting is a much better option in terms of security.
- Load balancing or future growth – If you are expecting a growth in your online business, then you should plan to shift to a dedicated server well in advance. In case you see a consistent rise in traffic to your website, then you need to shift to a dedicated server. If you take too long to switch, then it can prove to be a costly mistake. Plan well in time so that you don’t have any problems. Do your research (about dedicated servers) properly so that you can shift before the start of the problem.Load balancing, on the other hand, refers to the process of distributing workload on a server. When you opt for shared hosting, many different websites use the same resources simultaneously which can cause problems for your website. By the time you realise that there is a load balance problem, your website would start having issues. But when you move to a dedicated server, it allows you to schedule all your jobs and processes ensuring effective load distribution.
- Server and traffic load – The number of visitors coming to your website every day can have a significant effect on its functionality. If you are getting a substantial number of visitors every day, then you should opt for dedicated server hosting. When you use a server that is hosting several websites with too many processes working at the same time, it can compromise the performance of your website. When you share resources with other websites, you will have limited resources for your site, and so your RAM, bandwidth and other features can be compromised. A high server load can cause problems for your website, especially if you expect large volumes of traffic. Hence, if you opt for dedicated server hosting, then the performance of your website does not take a hit.
- Custom programming options – When you opt for dedicated server hosting, you get custom programming options which include cron jobs, shell scripts, or any other custom software. But when you opt for shared hosting, you do not get so many custom programming options. In case of dedicated server hosting, you can select the software that you want to use, you can choose the hardware specifications you want, the operating system you want to use, and you can also select various other custom programming options. Simply put, you are in total control of your hosting environment when you opt for a dedicated server hosting.
- Page load times – Slow load speeds can hamper the performance of your website. In case your website does not load fast enough, your visitors will abandon your website and move to the next one. Page load speeds also have a major effect on the ranking of your website. Your website ranking takes a hit if it does not load fast enough. And, a website that will not rank high on the search engines will get less traffic. So, when you share the resources with other websites, the bandwidth, RAM, and other resources are shared which can make the load speed of your site slow. But when you opt for dedicated server hosting, you don’t have to worry about any of this because you have the exclusive right to the server. It means your website can load faster, and you can rank higher on the search engines.If dedicated server hosting is what you need for your business, you can get in touch with vStacks Infotech now. vStacks Infotech is a software and digital marketing company, and we can handle all your hosting needs. When you opt for a company like us, you can rest assured that you will get complete technical support, your data will remain safe and secure, and there will be a minimum of downtime.